Just like any other test that you will ever write, it is very important that you prepare for the LPN test that will get you certification and licensing as an LPN.
This test is the NCLEX-PN and is the most important test you will write in your nursing career. This exam is like an LPN entrance test that allows you access to the world of nursing and all of the great advantages and job security that comes with it. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your LPN exam.
The NCLEX-PN examination may cover the following aspects:
- Safe Effective Care Environment
- Coordinated Care
- Safety and Infection Control
- Health Promotion and Maintenance
- Psychosocial Integrity
- Physiological Integrity
- Basic Care and Comfort
- Pharmacological Therapies
- Reduction of Risk Potential
- Physiological Adaptation
In order to be fully prepared for the LPN exam you will need to have a very good understanding of all of these topics. Revise all information you have been given on these subjects and make sure that you understand all of the processes and ideas contained within each subject. If you are struggling with one or more of these sections find someone to help you work through them until you have a better understanding of what is going on. This is very important if you want to be successful in your LPN exam.
Preparing to write the LPN exam
There are four steps that you should follow in order to make sure that you are fully prepared for the exam:
- Make sure that you know what is on the exam. Usually this will consist of the topics mentioned in the previous section. The LPN exam may also be divided into sections and different importance and weight may be given to different topics. This means that you need to know exactly what they are going to question you on in order to prepare for it sufficiently.
- There may be a number of textbooks required during your LPN training as well as some notes that will be given out to you during your training. Make sure that you have all of these close at hand when you are studying. Notes are invaluable, especially as they generally represent the most important aspects of the course.
- LPN exam examples are available form a number of sources. Make sure that you work through as many sample or past NCLEX-PN exams as possible in order to be fully prepared for the actual exam when it comes. Some study guides and textbooks will contain example LPN exams, and past papers can usually be purchased for a small price. This part of the preparation is essential. Once you have become confident answering the questions on the sample papers you will soon be ready to write your exam.
- Form a study group with other LPN students. Often interaction with others is the best way to learn something as they may be able to present ideas to you in a way that you did not think of yourself. Getting together and discussing the ideas and topics that are expected to come up n the LPN exam is a great way to prepare and something you should if it is at all possible.
NCLEX-PN Exam Tips
Here are some useful tips for you to keep in mind when preparing for the LPN exam:
- Get a feel for what you are reading by finding some enjoyment in what you are doing. A great way to do this is to use your imagination to put yourself in the role of an LPN in a real situation. With this kind of visualization you will be able to provide a bit of context for the work you are studying thereby making t a lot easier to remember.
- Pace yourself when studying and writing the examination. Don’t rush through anything. Take your time and think clearly about all of eh options that are presented to you.
- Make sure that you use an appropriate number of review materials. Review materials are better than lengthy textbooks because generally speaking they provide everything in bullet points that are easy to understand. In order to prepare properly and to be sure that you understand all concepts you should read three different review materials. However if you read more than this you will probably start to become confused and get bogged down. Three sources of review material should be enough for you to do well on the LPN exam.
- Picture yourself working as a nurse. This will help you to visualize the correct answers in the test, but on top of that it will also allow you to see the goal that you are working towards clearly in your mind. This will help you in terms of motivation while you are studying and while you are writing the LPN exam.
- In order to prepare fully it is suggested that you answer 100 sample test questions every night leading up to the examination. This will give you a feel for the type of questions that will be asked as well as helping you revise the work. You may even find that questions get repeated from exam to exam which means that you will stand a higher chance of knowing all of the answers if you answer more sample questions.
- Keep the rewards that you will get in mind. Becoming an LPN comes with many emotional and other rewards that you should keep in mind in order to find the level of motivation necessary to get through the study period as well as through the LPN exam itself.
- Have the right attitude and approach to the test. These means being confident about your chances. The LPN exam is not difficult for anyone who has prepared sufficiently. Many students fail the exam not because they do not know the right answers, but because they are so nervous and scared about eh test itself that they can think straight.
Answering the Questions
There are a few basic things you should keep in mind when you are writing the test. You want to give the best answers possible because it is better to pass very well than to just merely scrape through. The following are important things for you to keep in mind when writing the LPN exam:
Make sure that the answer you give is specific. Remember that many of the questions will be in multiple choice formats. This means that you will have to choose from a set of answers. They will always be looking for the MOST CORRECT answer so make sure you pay careful attention to the original question. There are a number of key words that you should look out for as they change the meaning of the question. These keywords can include things like:
- least and most appropriate
- least and most likely
- early or late
The next thing you need to remember to do when answering questions in the LPN exam is to prioritize. This means answering the questions with the highest priority first. Questions may ask you to prioritize events in a situation, in which case visualizing the situation will help you to answer the question.
You should use the process of elimination to narrow down your options in multiple choice questions. For example you should eliminate options that contain similar ideas. If two options are almost identical then this probably means that they are both wrong. You should also eliminate options that include absolute words in them, such as “always” and “must”.
When answering multiple choice questions in the LPN exam look for the comprehensive option. This is an option on your list of choices that contains all of the other options. This is almost always the correct answer if it appears on a multiple choice list in the LPN exam.
Look at each question in isolation. It is better to focus on each question as an individual unit. If you let an easy question make you overconfident when going on to the next item on the list then you may give the incorrect answer in the next question. Likewise if you let a difficult question get to you it may make you feel despondent about answering all other questions after that one.
Make sure that you understand the scope of practice of the different healthcare providers in the system clearly so that you can answer questions about delegation and so on easily in the LPN exam.
With enough hard work and the right attitude, the LPN exam is a doable task. Make sure that you repaper fully and that you have the right attitude as the day of the exam approaches. This exam will be easy for anyone who has taken the time to study and prepare well, and you will be surprised at how easily you will answer the questions on the day if you simply follow the steps contained in this article.